This is so sad to hear, one of our favorite restaurants in Greenwood had a fire! La Trattoria had the best Italian food and the best ambiance - candles on each table, red checker clothes or red tables clothes, outdoor seating, and they were always full of people dining so you have the quiet chatter of people around you. Very romantic.
The story from the Indianapolis Star said that,
"fire investigators Tuesday focused on a cooler and freezer storage area in a back room of the La Trattoria restaurant as the origin of the early Sunday morning fire. Bill and Jane Zimmer, who own the house that is home to the restaurant, visited with the Trotters in a parking lot alongside the house at 201 N. Madison Ave., where the Trotters opened La Trattoria on April 18, 2000.
Neither of the two Greenwood couples was certain Tuesday if the quaint house built in the early 20th century would be rebuilt, or torn down and a new building for the restaurant constructed.
"We don't know what's going to happen," said Rene Trotter, but she and her husband insist they want to reopen their restaurant at the same site.
"It's a shame," Tom Trotter said of the damage. "It was a neat little place. It will be again."
He said he's just not certain when.
The Trotters lament the difficulty of recapturing the restaurant's charms, which included the house's original hardwood floors.
The ambiance, authentic Italian cuisine and fine-dining quality steaks attracted couples and groups from a wide area of Central Indiana.
The restaurant will be closed for the foreseeable future."
[Photo from the Indianapolis Star]