Sunday, April 13, 2008

Check Out My New Compost Bin!


I am very excited to be the proud owner of a real compost bin!

Matt and I had concocted up our own version of a compost bin by using a trash bin and drilling holes into the sides. I must say that it has worked fairly well. But we really can't get into the bin very well to mix it up - there is the turn-the-bin-on-the-side-and-shake-it method - and then there is the stick-the-stick-down-in-the-bin-and-try-to-stir method - neither worked amazingly well.

What I think we need is a pitch-fork which I hope will be our next buy - but I found a great deal on Craigslist for a brand new still in the box stackable compost bin! Very exciting!

Today I picked it up and put it together. It is a lot bigger than I originally thought it was going to be based on the size of the box - comes up almost as tall as my waist but is is perfect! And since it is stackable - it is easy to stir up. The instructions say to take the lid off and fork out some of the compost onto the ground next to the bin - then take off the top layer of the box and put it around the compost and basically rebuild the bin on top of the new stop - layering and mixing the compost as you move it into the new location. Nifty idea! Hopefully it will speed along our composting.

Here is our old bin...

3 comments:

tina said...

Where is your garden located?

Stacy said...

I technically don't have one yet...we are working on it. :)

Carol Michel said...

Very nice compost bin. I once had one like that, but had to leave it behind when I moved. I still miss it sometimes. It will help speed up the process.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens