Sunday, July 27, 2008

My Faithful Hummingbirds Are Back



I FINALLY caught a glimpse of my faithful hummingbirds this year. I think I had a hard time seeing them until now because I had the feeders so far out in the yard. This week I moved them back up by the house - right outside our living room windows and lo-and-behold my little hummingbird showed up!

Here is a picture of him or her from last year. I have since started making my own humming bird food - and they seem to be liking it so far. It is just a simple mixture of 4 parts water to one part sugar. I heat it on the stove till the sugar is dissolved, let it cool and then fill up the feeders!

Here's the a link to the recipe in case anyone wants to print it out. I always have to with my recipes....my newest ones have a spot on the fridge where I keep them until I have everything down pat.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is good that you moved your feeder back into your yard area. Hummingbirds have excellent memories, so they were probably remembering where the feeder had been in the past. That's why they found it once again so quickly after you moved it back to a location in the general area of where it was before.

If you would like much more information about hummingbirds, please click the links below. The sites contain many articles about hummingbirds, video clips about hummingbirds, an informative tips booklet on hummingbirds, and much more.

Click Here To Visit About Hummingbirds

Hummingbirds For Mom

Life, Love And Lola said...

I can't believe I can actually see the Hummingbird in that shot...They're so quick and hard to capture. You go girl!

Stacy said...

Zoe ann hinds - Thanks for the tip and the great links! That makes sense about moving them back to where they were. I like them better by the window anyways - and they don't seem to mind our cat watching from behind the glass sliding door. I swear they tease her but perching and looking at her though the glass. :)

life,love and lola - My hummingbirds are posers - they always stop and sit nearby for my viewing pleasure. Not shy at all...:) And it helps to have a speedy quick shutter and to sit just inside the sliding glass door near the feeder and wait for them to come up. Yeah, I've got time on my hands. LOL!

a/k/a Nadine said...

This summer I hung a hummingbird feeder for the first time, but so far there's been nary a visitor. Maybe I don't have enough bright flowers near it? Lucky you!

Stacy said...

Nadine - just be patient they will come! It took quite a while for them to find my feeders last year when I first put them out. But know that they know where they are at they keep coming back! I didn't have a lot of flowers last year either - and not a whole lot this year - but just keep putting fresh sugar water out - they will come! :)