Tuesday, July 22, 2008

July Garden Update



Wow, I just realized that I haven't posted any updates about our garden for quite some time! Well, I gotta start off with this photo my husband snapped of me tonight - I got pretty dirty hauling around muddy, wet bags of mulch and digging up grass, etc!

As far as our edible crops - our peas have come and fizzled out. I don't think I could pick them quite fast enough - nor did I have them properly supported. Lessons learned - but they were delicious while they lasted!

Everything else is doing quite well. (cucumbers, cantaloupe, tomatoes, onions and peppers) We spent some considerable time in the yard today what with the rain holding off and the weather being cool and pleasant. We were out till 9:30pm!


(Here's my little cantaloupe!)

I ripped the rest of the peas out of the garden, transplanted my rogue chamomile from their location in the middle of our yard to the back of my corner herb garden, took my rosemary from its spot in the back of the corner herb garden (its get a little too wet there I think for it) and placed it next to the lavender I put in on the east side of the house where it is much more dry, planted my potted herbs to vacant locations about the side gardens including - tarragon, basil and chives, I also widened one of my flower beds to be a foot wider - my hostas, hibiscus, day lilies and lily of the valley all grew so fast since last year! Finally got the last 6 oriental grasses I had bought a long time ago out of their pots and into the ground - what a great feeling!


(Here's my newly expanded flower bed, of course nothing is blooming now - go figure. The day lilies & hostas just had all their blooms - and the hibiscus is getting ready to pop soon - just needs a nice brick border now - I am planning on putting the bricks into the ground level wit the grass)

And with all that said we are officially done planting anything else in the ground till fall when we will once again turn to getting our grass growing in the backyard and replacing a few bushes and probably planting a tree or two. For the rest of the summer we will just focus on applying fresh layers of mulch to everything, weeding, hopefully installing a deck, maybe finding some free bricks on craiglist to make borders around my flower and herb gardens.

Still a long list of things to do - but NO MORE plants - jeez we are running out of room! I must shield my eyes if I visit any garden centers over the next few months - that or just avoid them all together and just send the hubby in for mulch and what not - though if I do that I am more than likely to find 4 new weedeaters when I come home. ;)

3 comments:

a/k/a Nadine said...

What a cute little cantaloupe! I have some old bricks I keep meaning to do something with...

Stacy said...

Well, if you can't figure out what to do with your bricks and your in the central Indiana area - let me know and I will take them off your hands! ;)

BerryBird said...

Wow! You got a lot done all in your evening gardening session. We've had a ton of rain lately, so I have some mulch that needs spreading. My husband is also coveting a weedeater. What is it with these men?