Saturday, January 5, 2008

Bento Lunches

People at work hate me. Not personally speaking by any means. But they hate the fact that my husband gets up every morning and packs my lunch for me before work - and he does a good job! Always making little kits if we have leftover like tacos complete with little bags of cheese, separating the lettuce from the meat - etc...all organized and neat.

I CAN make my lunch myself, and have, on occasion. And, in my defense, this situation all came about because of our differing work schedules. He was working later in the mornings than I was and had a little more time to actually make lunches - and he would get up with me in the morning because it has be about impossible to sleep with all the racket I make in the morning - running the blow dryer, dropping stuff in the bathroom, stumbling about trying to find the shoes that match my outfit- etc.

AND he offered to do so.

Just trying to defend myself here as in writing this I realize that I sound like some sort of princess who cannot and will not fend for herself. THAT IS NOT IT AT ALL THANK YOU.

Ok, back to the post.

Bento Lunches.

I came across this Japanese way of making lunch while searching the web for something else - I stumbled across a blog writing about what I was searching for - and in further inspection of said blog I found a post about bento lunches and, having never heard of it before, became intrigued - read more - did a web search and viola I am officially on board.

According to Wikapedia a "bento" is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine. A traditional bento consists of rice, fish or meat, and one or more pickled or cooked vegetables as a side dish. Containers range from disposable mass produced to hand crafted lacquerware. Although bento are easily available in many places throughout Japan, including convenience stores, bento shops, train stations, and department stores, it is still common for Japanese homemakers to spend considerable time and energy producing an appealing boxed lunch.

But if you think about it, and what many bloggers are saying, is that a bento lunch is TECHNICALLY any lunch that is packed.

I have sent photos of adorable bento lunches in hopes that he become inspired to add a little more oomph to his lunch-making repertoire - I just need to convince him that he needs to make me the cute little animal shaped hard boiled eggs that I found in the bento lunches I found online!

Here are some links to bento blogs:
BentoYum
Bento Corner
Lunch In A Box

No comments: