Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Garden Update: Late May 2010

Not sure what happened to my carrots or onions - had to replant rows of them here this weekend because the first ones never came up. We did get a heaver rain right after I planted the seeds and I had to rack up the soil a lot because of unwanted volunteer seedlings coming up from the compost - so I think they got racked in with it.

Radishes are done - crazy how quickly those sprout up and come to harvest! I've planted yellow onions and green onions in its place.

Growing now is peas in the back row, broccoli and cauliflower, green and red peppers, lettuce and cherry tomatoes!

Had a little fiasco with the peas here a few days ago. I was tying the vines to train up the trellis and when my back was turned our little chihuahua, Lola, was up on her front paws reaching into the garden bed and pulling the pea vines out and chewing on them. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what would possess her to do that - she is so good with our garden. But I do remember her watching me very closely when I was messing with the vines - and I did accidentally break a branch off - and the branches smell like the pea snaps themselves - which she LOVES to eat. Last year and the year before as I harvested the peas I would break one in half and let her eat them. She must remember that and when she smelled the broken branch think that there were peas or something - I dunno! But now I have to leave the white trellis up behind the peas to keep her from pulling any more out! Crazy dog.

No comments: