Sunday, November 22, 2009

Bringing In Bits of the Garden



Let me start out by saying that I am a collector of things. If I go to the beach I pick up seashells and stones, if I walk through a field I look for arrowheads, walking through the woods you'll find me snatching up pine cones and flowers.

So it may come as no big surprise that I bring in bits from my garden. I planted and gorgeous allium a year or two (didn't come back - bummer!) but did save the seed head! Now I have a daily reminder of that gorgeous flower - along with some rose hips that I collected from a nearby fence row.



One of my prized plants in my garden is my lavender. Bought it at the Indianapolis Farmers Market two years ago. Lavender is one of my favorite scents (love, love, love Lavender dish soap, laundry detergent, Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy Lavender Vanilla line of products!). Anywho, I've been tempted before to take cuttings of my lavender but could never really bring myself to do it. Well, this year it helped me out a little - some of the tips were already dry and breaking off in the wind, so I snipped a few ends off and made a little lovely, lavender scented bouquet.



And of course, put it on display on our living room bookshelf!

Just recently we had some hyssop become trampled by the utility workers doing something with a bright orange cord that wrap around the back and plugs into the side of our neighbors house (??) - I do admit we planted it close to the utility box -but come on! The thing is hideous and huge and right smack dab in my front yard! At least it was just a perennial that they stomped - it will come back next year! But, of course, I went out there and snipped off all the dried seed heads and have them drying upstairs as we speak! :)

So tell me, do you bring bits from you garden? Or collect random things?

No comments: