The morels mushrooms have all been fried up and ate! Yum! Now I have get over my tick fears and go out and find more!
1. Heat frying pan till hot.
2. While pan heats, prepare flour mixture in a square or rectangular container. Mix all the flour with optional amounts of salt and pepper.
3. Melt 1/4 stick or 2 tablespoons butter in pan.
4. Dredge morels through flour mixture until well coated.
5. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
I've found that it is easier to cook up morels in small batches - 6-10 at a time. Otherwise you have to keep adding butter and then the flour mixture starts collecting and burning in the pan.
I've had recipes where the morels were dipped in an egg mixture before being dredged in the flour but find that you lose a lot of the morel flavor and end up tasting more egg. If you soak your morels in salt water prior to cooking (to kill of any slugs, etc) they are wet enough that plenty of flour ends up sticking. Or if you rinsed your morels under water first they would be wet enough as well.
Would love to hear about other recipes! Anybody have any good ones? I've read about a morel and asparagus omlet - but haven't tried it yet! Let me know!