Tuesday, May 5, 2009

All Fried Up



The morels mushrooms have all been fried up and ate! Yum! Now I have get over my tick fears and go out and find more!

Fried Morels:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 to 1 cup or more of flour (depends on how many you are frying up)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Butter
  • Morel mushrooms


  • Instructions:
    1. Heat frying pan till hot.
    2. While pan heats, prepare flour mixture in a square or rectangular container. Mix all the flour with optional amounts of salt and pepper.
    3. Melt 1/4 stick or 2 tablespoons butter in pan.
    4. Dredge morels through flour mixture until well coated.
    5. Fry until golden brown on both sides.

    I've found that it is easier to cook up morels in small batches - 6-10 at a time. Otherwise you have to keep adding butter and then the flour mixture starts collecting and burning in the pan.

    I've had recipes where the morels were dipped in an egg mixture before being dredged in the flour but find that you lose a lot of the morel flavor and end up tasting more egg. If you soak your morels in salt water prior to cooking (to kill of any slugs, etc) they are wet enough that plenty of flour ends up sticking. Or if you rinsed your morels under water first they would be wet enough as well.

    Would love to hear about other recipes! Anybody have any good ones? I've read about a morel and asparagus omlet - but haven't tried it yet! Let me know!

    4 comments:

    Momma Val said...

    Yum! Those look really good. I think I'd prefer them with breading rather than without. Do they taste generally like a mushroom? Is there a huge texture difference from a regular mushroom?

    Stacy said...

    I don't think they have a regular mushroom taste - I really don't like the kind of mushrooms you put on pizza - are they button mushrooms? Anyways, don't like them as much - but morels - I could eat everyday!

    The taste is hard to describe - but I found this description online and think it fits - "Morels have a rich, creamy flavor that is deliciously earthy, nutty, steak-like."

    TMC said...

    Those look DELICIOUS.

    BerryBird said...

    I've never had them breaded, you've got me very curious now :) Usually I just saute them in butter, but last year year I started experimenting with fresh garlic, sometimes wilting spinach in at the last minute.