Thursday, June 24, 2010

Veggie Garden Update: June 23, 2010

Woah nelly, we need to mow the grass! The constant storms and intervals of sunshine (while we are at work) has caused our grass (and gardens) to grow like crazy!

Above is our "viney" garden bed - sweet corn in the back, cucumbers, cantaloupe, watermelon, zucchini and yellow squash. We actually have about 3 inch long zucchinis and maybe 2 inch long yellow squash already! :)

Garden bed #1 with our broccoli, cauliflower, peas, cherry tomatoes, lettuce and peppers. Peas are done - I harvested and ripped out the vines (after I took the pic) to make room for our giant pumpkin plants that have outgrown their pot (thank you, Dad!). With any luck, our little one with have her very first pumpkin straight from our garden!

I also took out the lettuce and will be taking out broccoli as it comes to harvest here. Broccoli is, by the way, one of the most annoying plants. It grows so big, takes up so much room and only has a tiny little 3 inch wide broccoli stalk. Maybe I am doing something wrong - but not happy with that plant. Plus broccoli is not on my pregnancy diet here lately - makes me burp way too much.

Also haven't had luck with onions or carrots either this year - I think it was the planting time and location. Too close to monster plants like broccoli and tomatoes that overshadowed the seeds - never even saw seedlings. :( That or my seeds are bad. Though two carrots did make it up - but that is it out of two rows I planted - and zero green or yellow onions. :(

And I planted everything later this year - I think that had a lot to do with it. Usually I would start cold weather crops like onions a lot earlier and I didn't this year - they got planted in the same time as my tomatoes etc. I think they need the advantage of being planted earlier so they have time to establish before the other late spring plants start foliaging all over the place blocking the sunlight.

No comments: