Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pregnancy Survival Kit

Every woman who first sees those little lines show up on her pregnancy test should be given a pregnancy survival kit of sorts. I know everyone's experience is different and each person will need different things - but goodness there is so much to learn about the changes your body is going through!

Here's what is in my kit so far:

FIRST TRIMESTER
  • The Obvious (crackers, small blandish cookies, etc)
    Nothing really sounded good to me to eat, everything was just ick. I didn't get sick - but never really felt compelled to eat much. My faves during my first trimester were those little Chocolate Teddy Grahams - went through 3 boxes! Ginger Ale was no help at all - that even sounded terrible to me - but I tried it. I liked Sierra Mist though.
  • Travel Pillow
    You're going to be out, baby! I am pretty sure I slept 80% of my first trimester. I'd come home from work and go straight to bed. Weekends were pretty much non-existent I just slept them away. If we tried to go anywhere - I would wind up knocked out in the passenger seat before we made it back home.
  • Prenatal Vitamins
    To make up for nutritious things you can't keep down or even think of eating.
  • Hair Ties
    To hold up your blue jeans and pants when you can't button them any longer. Just loop a hair tie through the button hole and stretch it over to the button - viola!
  • Dandruff Shampoo
    Goodness, I though I had lice for a split second the day I woke up to tons of tiny flakes in my scalp. But alas, no - this is another fun pregnancy symptom - blame the hormones for your dry skin! The shampoo helped a ton!
  • Prunes
    Don't think I need to explain this one. Buy the individually wrapped ones and slip a few in your purse each day. They don't taste as bad as you'd expect - sweeter and softer than a raisin and with the individually wrapped ones you can kinda pretend they are candy! (maybe) Either way the results are well worth it.
  • Sticky Notes
    To write your great husband little, loving reminder notes and leave them on his side of the bathroom mirror about the cat litter you can no longer clean, and to remind him to wipe out of the tub, etc to keep you away from those toxic household fumes. Much better than reminding him over and over again in person -  because honestly you're dead tired and maybe a little cranky so things just don't come out sounding nice sometimes.
  • Extra pillow for between your knees
    You're belly just feels weird - there probably isn't anything showing just yet - but you can feel something! I always sleep on my side but things were just not feeling right - kinda off balance. An extra pillow wedged between my knees does the trick - comfy all night sleep! (well, except when you have to get up to pee around 2-4AM)


SECOND TRIMESTER
  •  Dove Sensitive Skin Unscented Moisturizing Beauty Bar (2 for $2.95)
    To battle all the crazy changes your skin is going due to the hormones raging through your body. I found that I can't use anything but sensitive skin formulas or I will break out on my tummy, legs, chest, back, neck, face, etc.) If it's bad enough for your husband to notice - you know it's bad! So say goodbye to that lovely lavender bubble bath and those bottles, upon bottles of Bath and Body Works (which I might just swear off anyway - these little moisturizing bars are making my skin look and feel great!)
  • Clean & Clear Sensitive Skin Foaming Facial Cleaner ($3ish)
    It is way too tempting to try and break out the hardcore acne cleansers on your poor, hormone-induced pimply face, but don't do it! It will only backfire and result in so much more irritation - sigh.
  • Starbucks Insulated Tumbler ($12.95)
    Gotta stay hydrated! I'm not a fan of water bottles, even the nice BPA free reusable kinds. Not sure why, but I do not like drinking out of them - maybe because half the time I spill it down myself. But these nifty tumblers from Starbucks, keeps your drink cold and lets you sip out of a straw. Maybe it's the straw aspect - but I drink water from these little tumblers so much more than I do if I carry around a water bottle. $12.95 at your local Starbucks - I found mine at a local Kroger that has a Starbucks inside!
  • Motherhood Maternity Belly Band (one-size fits all)
    At some point, the hair tie technique becomes useless. That is where the belly band steps in. I've kept wearing all my regular pants - just with the belly band holding them up. It looks like a nice layered tank top under your shirts. I think they are between $15 and $20 - and you can use them with all your pants - much cheaper than going out and buying a new wardrobe of maternity pants!
  • Healthy Snacks
    Fruits, veggies, crackers - things to munch the day away. My faves: watermelon, carrots, sweet pea pods, natures valley granola bars, bananas, peaches, etc.
  • Prenatal VitaminsSome things still just do not sound good - like right now - chicken and other meats - yuck. Maybe it's the weather - but the only thing that sounds good is cool, refreshing fruits and veggies - good yes, but full of protein? No. Peanut butter and other healthy nuts and things like olive oil helps - but prenatal vitamins help fill in for the nutrients I might not be getting otherwise.
  • Avoid too much fiber!
    At least for me, anything with a lot of fiber in it is going to make me pay. Cucumbers? Out of the question. Broccoli - no way jose! Fiber One bars - burn them! Fiber just wrecks havoc on my already slow moving digestive system - resulting in terrible-want-to-crawl-under-my-desk, maybe-I-should-call911 bloating.
  • Summer tips:
    - Keep one of those little plastic kiddie pools filled with cold water to soak your toasty tootsies in on those hot summer days. I can't stand being cooped up inside when the sun is shining - so I've constructed my own little shady oasis complete with foot rest and cooling foot soak so I can enjoy the outdoor without being uncomfortable.
    - Mock-tinis: No, you won't be swigging down margaritas anytime soon - but you can whip up virgin versions of your favorite summer-time drink. My favorite - mixing pineapple juice, crushed ice, grenadine and alcohol-free pina-colada mix!
THIRD TRIMESTER
  • I have no clue - what should I expect, ladies??
  • Any good must-haves that I need to know about?
  • Fill me on your tips and tricks at surviving the last trimester!

3 comments:

Rosemarie said...

Prunes were my lifesaver in the 1st trimester -- by the 2nd trimester my constipation went away (almost the reverse) - thank goodness!

And I vomited a lot. The best thing that came up were peppermint patties. I ate those a lot.

And I LOVE the Bella Band. I still use it in my 3rd trimester because my belly is so big, I feel like I need some extra support.

In the 3rd (so far, I'm almost 34 weeks) - clothes are a problem. I went to Kohls bought pregnancy tank tops and short pants and now live in them. In my 2nd tri, I lived in Target maternity yoga pants (but now it's too hot for them). Sandales too as your ankles will swell a lot more (esp in heat). Water, water water, that's all I want (and ice tea and lemonade). Drink a ton. A body pillow, I have the boppy one that I fold into a u-shape to keep me on my side (I'm a back sleeper). Anythign to be comfy in bed. And I have a fan that blows on me at night. And of course, a good hubby that will do things for you!

if I think of more, I'll let you know.

Stacy said...

Rosemarie - Thanks for all the tips! :) We preggo women gotta stick together! Let me know if you find anything else helpful along the way!

Anonymous said...

I'm 36 weeks pregnant so that put me in the third and last trimester. I swear by Tums! I always get bad heartburn and just one tablet takes it all away. :)