|Apple awaiting their caramel coating!|
This is why I am glad I save all my Popsicle sticks throughout the year! :)
|In progress - I am so messy in the kitchen!|
|Our little spoon licker!|
Here is the recipe! (found here at Tasty Kitchen)
- 12 whole Apples (we only had 9)
- ¼ cups Butter
- 1 cup White Syrup (used Karo Corn Syrup)
- 14 ounces, fluid Eagle Brand Condensed Milk
- 2 cups White Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Heat all ingredients except vanilla in a heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium/low heat. Stir constantly! (Unless you really like the look of scorched bits on your apples.)
When caramel reaches soft ball stage (235°F–240°F) remove from heat and add vanilla. Let cool a few minutes.
Using the stick inserted in the apples, dunk apples in the hot caramel and twirl slowly away from the heat for a couple of minutes. It’s nice to have a helper or two at this point.
Place caramel-covered apples on a buttered cookie sheet. Optional: drizzle with melted chocolate or roll in chopped nuts.
Extra caramel from the bottom of the pan:
1. Can be scraped out with a spatula into a buttered plate or dish to be cut into individual pieces when cool.
2. Can be thinned in the pan with half-and-half and eaten warm, as a dip for apple wedges.